Trials and tribulations of someone new to Chicago

There is great big city, on a great big lake, called Chicago. When the sun goes down, it is wide awake!

Sunday, August 27, 2006

When is it too soon?

Any one who knows me knows that there are a few things that really "get my goat" when I see or hear them. In my hopes to change Cadillac, I vocalized these things as often as I could. In fact, some might say that I am opinionated. As I walked home from my third day on a new job, I wondered; when is too soon to share these opinions with my fellow employees and boss? When have I gathered enough job security to yell, "Don't throw that pop can away! RECYCLE?" Or when am I sure that people will not be offended when I tell them that it is 2006, almost 2007 (again, almost is used loosely) so please stop using words such as gay and others that I don't even repeat? Lastly, when is it too soon to go into my rant dealing with the word retarded? It is just as bad as gay and has the same type of negative meaning, why do people insist upon using this word as a descriptive word? In the words of Kath-Kath, "Do you ever call anything GOOD retarded?" How many more days should I work before I get labeled the word snob at THIS job?

8 Comments:

Blogger erika said...

it actually surprises me that you are hearing the "g" and the "r" word on your job already. i would have never guessed that so many adults still use such words and that there would be a need for them while selling clothes. and chicago is diverse.... aren't they used to the g word by now?

9:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Six. Six more days.

That's how long.

-KD

9:20 AM  
Blogger calamity said...

qvjqnxmf
i didn't know that gay was a bad word to use,man i use it a lot, but i never meant anything bad with it, it's just that homosexual is a too long word for me :P
so which word would you recomend?
well i can't help you with any answer on how long you should wait, but it's never too soon for looks that could kill the person without the skills of using language properly ;)

10:39 AM  
Blogger Kourtney said...

Couple corrections: It is actually a twenty something that is using the g word in the wrong way. But my boss uses the "r" word like it is her job!!!

Also, I don't mind when gay is used for both of the proper meanings. Just not as a word used to describe something that is "bad" or "stupid"

11:10 AM  
Blogger kristen said...

today, i had a student say fa*#ot. in class. aloud. and he thought nothing of it. i think he may be dropping....

1:12 PM  
Blogger Kourtney said...

Please tell me there will be a post that tells your readers that conversation that took place....I would have paid money to be there to watch that!

1:47 PM  
Blogger kristen said...

eh, i don't think i can...i don't want to get dooced.

(aka fired for you new bloggers)

12:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First off, Wow!
Second, I do know a place where retarded is frequently used, Boston. It is used in a good way like, "That was freakin' retarded" or something like that.

8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home