Trials and tribulations of someone new to Chicago

There is great big city, on a great big lake, called Chicago. When the sun goes down, it is wide awake!

Sunday, November 11, 2007

Hollister....BOOOOO

I have always had a bad taste in my mouth when I speak of the store Hollister and Abercrombie and Fitch. I do not like going into stores that have half naked people on the walls or even working in them. I also have a hard time with the fact that average sized people are not able to wear their clothes. They are made extremely small and they do not make many large or extra-larges because that isn't the body type they want to be wearing their clothing. Sure, they make some cute clothing and I have a lot of friends who wear their products and wear them well, but I still get a bad taste in my mouth.

Last weekend did not help my bad taste. I asked my younger sister what she wanted for her birthday. Her reply was that she wanted gift cards to her two favorite stores for a shopping trip she was going on. What are those stores? Areopostal and Hollister. Kristen and I decided to divide and conqure. She took Areo and I took Hollister.

I walk in and see instantly half naked people both working and on the walls. I walk right for the check out counter to get the gift card. I tell the person behind the counter I want a gift card for X amount. He tells me to go a head and pick the gift card I want to give and points to a box in front of me. What are my options? A half naked man or a half naked woman on top of a half naked man. What message does that send my 13 year old sister?

5 Comments:

Blogger kristen said...

OK...i know you don't spellcheck as a rule and you're not one for all that "book learnin" ;) BUT will you please spell my name correctly?! please?

8:20 PM  
Blogger erika said...

oh u know im one of those a&f friends. i even worked there but i do agree that things have gone in a different direction. during the time i worked there i noticed that the sizes got smaller...yup smaller. and in defense of the store i worked in, we never had "models" working. we all actually worked. it is sad though that i could possibly be wearing the same shirt as an 8year old. in the same size.

3:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sends the message that he only choice for the rest of her life will either be a half-naked girl or a half-naked girl AND a guy. Shit, kids these days have it so easy.

That is all.

-Kyle

8:21 PM  
Blogger T-Mac said...

I'm reminded of that South Park episode where Paris Hilton opens up a "stupid spoiled whore" store and everyone in town wants to go. Then she shoves a pinapple up her va-jay-jay. Hang in there, you're as good a role model for her as she can hope for, even with half-naked people at stores and Paris Hilton's cartoon-take on produce.

4:06 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

U-P-D-A-T-E...ASAP or else:)

12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home