Trials and tribulations of someone new to Chicago

There is great big city, on a great big lake, called Chicago. When the sun goes down, it is wide awake!

Sunday, December 02, 2007

Well read?

I tend to think of myself as a some one who is well read. With that being said, I know there are books and authors that I shy away from. I have heard more times then I can count that there are certain books I should read. I am not sure why I don't read those books; actually, I am sure that I would enjoy them if I just sat down long enough to give them a chance. Am I intimidated by them? I don't think so, but it could be a possibility. I just need something to motivate me to read them.....

Then motivation strikes in the form of a reading challenge. I never say no to a challenge. Hopefully, this challenge will help me get through at least twelve of the books I have been meaning to read. Kristen is also doing this challenge and we both encourage others to join in. If not for the whole year, at least challenge yourself to read a book or two that you have been putting off.

Here is my tentative list. It is not set in stone so if others have books that you think should be added please let me know what they are and why they should be.

January: I Know This Much to be True: Wally Lamb
February: A Tale of Two Cities:
March: Cat's Eye: Margaret Atwood*
April: Love: Toni Morrison
May: Other Voices, Other Rooms: Truman Capote*
June: Gone With the Wind: Margaret Mitchell
July: The Heart is a Lonely Hunter: Carson McCullers
August: Pride and Prejudice: Jane Austin
September: For Whom the Bell Tolls: Ernest Hemingway
October: The Human Stain: Phillip Roth*
November: Jane Eyre: Charlotte Bronte
December: The Grapes of Wrath: John Steinbeck *

5 Comments:

Blogger kristen said...

woot, woot.

this will be fun.

1:47 PM  
Blogger Estella said...

It's great to have you along with us! Looking forward to your thoughts on your chosen books. :)

Andi

1:23 PM  
Blogger erika said...

i read your january book and its now one of my favorites. i would do this challenge but im lazy. im reading The Kite Runner and its soooo sloowwww.

9:00 PM  
Blogger T-Mac said...

haha, glad the cold makes you think of me...it's actually not that bad here now, knock on wood, although my classroom doesn't have heat so it's annoying. As for books, I suggest "Lenin's Tomb" by Remnick...it's not fiction, though you'll wish it was 1/3rd of the way through.

12:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cheater

9:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home