Trials and tribulations of someone new to Chicago

There is great big city, on a great big lake, called Chicago. When the sun goes down, it is wide awake!

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Twiddling my thumbs

Just like with all new jobs, it takes awhile to figure out how to occupy your time when you are slow. When I was working at the coffee shop, there was plenty to do when we were slow. First off, there was wireless allowing plenty of blog time! But there were also plenty of tables to be able to actually sit down! At this job, I am left to find new things to occupy my time. Here are my top ten things to do while slow at work:


1) Make my to do lists (told you I LOVE to make lists!)

2) Twirl my pen...and there are a lot of pens!
3) Eat Juju be's. I even resort to eating the green and yellow ones!
4) Walk around creating "shopping lists" of what I would buy if I could afford to.
5) Check the time every five minutes. Sigh because it really has only been five minutes and yet it felt as it had been at least an hour!
6) Create blog ides. Yes, this was the best I could come up with yesterday. It seems when it is slow at work my brain shuts down. (Okay fine, I am sure it shuts down when we are busy as well)
7) Try to figure out what day it is and if it is an Law and Order SVU night.
8) Call my roommate...I mean "client" to see if she had received my wardrobe coupon. Then remember that I did not actually send her one!
9) Reach for my cherry coke. Then realize it isn't there. That was at my last job!
10) Count the number of minutes that are left before I can go home. It is better than counting the hours, as this goes down faster than hours!

What do you do?

7 Comments:

Blogger T-Mac said...

Since I don't work at the moment I don't think I can add a lot to your list. However, I will say that since I never learned to twirl my pen, I'm pretty jealous. OH, and I check my watch every few minutes even when I'm in no rush at all. So, yeah.

12:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

okay. it is always svu night. i guess that doesn't take up a lot of your time.

i don't even want to let you know what i get to do when i'm bored at my job. being a debate coach rules should suffice. although, it does often involve pen twirling (ha! thomas suxors!).

keep on trucking littlemac!

8:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

fine. that was boyer.

8:23 AM  
Blogger calamity said...

4-maybe you should post some of those lists, that would be fun
5, 10 -practised a lot while i was working, it wasn´t a real job though, just to earn some money for the vacation

9:53 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Since i also do not work, I do these things in class
*decide what im going to eat for the rest of the day
*add to my DB list
*spill coffee all over myself and books
*twirl my pen and amaze people:)
*oo and get called on...

10:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

eat fries, makes shakes, and make bratty christmas lists...

2:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i really like #8!! except you failed to mention that you hung up on me the first time. RUDE :)

3:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home