Trials and tribulations of someone new to Chicago

There is great big city, on a great big lake, called Chicago. When the sun goes down, it is wide awake!

Thursday, September 07, 2006

So I bought you a rose, on my way home from work

I have always been a "just because" type of person. I never celebrated Valentines Day and still don't. Not because I never had or don't have a significant other to celebrate with on this day. But rather, because, I don't think people that love me should need a day to tell me that they care for me? What is wrong with Feb 13th. or March 20th? Why THAT day did they need to tell me they care. If you want to express your love to others on that day, so be it, just don't do it ONLY on days set aside to express your love. My mom has always been good at sending me things "just because" to remind me that she cares for me. Because of this, I have become a person that then tells others that I care about them on days that are not their birthdays or a holiday. Today, a little boy came into where I work and reminded me how meaningful it is to do little things, all the time, for the people you care about. The conversation that follows is a reminder that the little things make the difference!

K (that is me!): Hello, how are you today?
Mom: I am fine, thank-you.
K: And how are you today? (to the little boy about 5 years old who walked in with his mother)
M: Excuse him; he is a little grumpy today.
K: (to the boy) I understand...I am too.
He smiled...the cutest smile ever!
K: What do you have in that bag? (He was holding a Dunken Donut bag)
LB: (huge smile) My favorite donuts are in here. My mom bought them for me because I had a bad day. She was trying to make me feel better.
K: Did it work? My mom does nice things like that as well. Parent's have a way of knowing how to cheer kids up.
LB: Your mom buys you donuts too?
K: Sometimes, yes. Other times she will buy me a candy bar. Little things make me feel better. I hope that donut made your bad day go away.
LB: Did you already get your candy bar?
K: Oh no. My mom lives far away (Okay so not THAT far) so I will just call her when I get home.
LB: You can have some of mine......


8 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

Awww, how sweet. Kids have a way with words, I love it.

But now, lets be real. Please tell me that you did not eat food out of the nasty, dirty, infested, hands of a five year old. And please tell me that after the heart-to-heart with the boy, the mom dropped some serious cash on you. Come on, K.

11:04 PM  
Blogger T-Mac said...

Awwww! Seriously, ADORABLE. I'm the same way, I love doing nice random things for folks. :-)

2:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait. So the kid had a bad day. THAT is why he got the donuts. Not just because. You're story's full of holes.

You're suspect!

9:38 AM  
Blogger Kourtney said...

HAHA don't be a punk! Same point applies!

10:12 AM  
Blogger Cptn. Backfire said...

I'm confident that the kid was just trying to get in your pants by offering your donuts.

What a baller.

12:12 PM  
Blogger kristen said...

At first...I thought "mom" was our mom and I was confused. Mom is in Chicago? Mom is in Ann Taylor? Kourt is waiting on mom?

9:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why was your mom with some random little boy? And for what was he rewarded with donuts? This story just got spicy!

6:49 PM  
Blogger Kourtney said...

We do not talk about Kath Kath like that...

10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home