Trials and tribulations of someone new to Chicago

There is great big city, on a great big lake, called Chicago. When the sun goes down, it is wide awake!

Thursday, December 07, 2006

The What If Game.....

This is a game that I always would play with my roommate Emily. I would play out a situation to her (or her to me) and we would come up with every possible ending we could by finishing the sentence "What if (fill in blank) happened" I have found myself playing that game in my head lately. Many feelings of nostalgia have been surfacing in my head causing me to question many steps I took and turns I made. It makes me wonder how different my life could, or would, be right now had I played those five minutes a little differently. Or if I had gone to that party instead of being too nervous to hang out with a huge group of people when only knowing one person. What if I had quit debate when I wanted to. What would have changed in my life? Looking at all of the CMU tailgating pictures of the game goers this season made me sad that I missed out on so much of my college life by being so active in other activities. Who would I have met or hung out with had I been able to tailgate more often? Or actually have a weekend to enjoy college life more then once a semester. I am so thankful to all of the people I met in college and for most of my choices throughout my college career; however, sometimes the what if game creeps in. I don't want changing my choices or actions to mean that I wouldn't have met some one that is now in my life. I just sometimes wonder who ELSE I might have met. What other experiences could I now be telling my new friends about in order to help them know what made me the me that they are meeting. I guess it is true what they (who ever they are) "By the time you realize you miss something, it is already too late" I can't change what I may or may not have missed out on, but I can think about what my future could be. It is truely time to make new memories and never wonder if I missed out on anything again.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only drawback to the "What if" game is that you end up spending time thinking about something you can't change. What if I never debated in college, or judged after I was done, or went to CMU to coach...those questions are kinda silly because I made the choices I did. Sure I have regrets, usually involving my love life...or lack thereof, but I wouldn't change a thing about the way my life has turned out so far.

Although more naked chicks would be a bonus. :)

9:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry...I forgot to tell you it was me saying that...if you couldn't guess.

Love,

SWAFF

9:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you really had wanted to quit debate you would have. It's easy to look back now and think that life could have been better, when you don't know that. Each year that you were involved in debate you learned something new about yourself and other people. It taught you numerous life lessons that made you stronger now. Debate provides you with experiences and expertise that others do not have. Additionally, you did have a lot of good times at college, and went out all the time. Debate didn't occur every weekend.
Don't regret something because the outcome was not what you wanted or expected, but rather remember the experience and what it taught you and where it brought you now. Years from now you won't remember what parties you went to or which tournaments you won or didn't win.

10:31 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i'm glad i didn't quit debate either.


wait a minute, i never did debate.

10:49 AM  
Blogger Kourtney said...

It isn't only that the outcome isn't what I wanted or thought it would be it is the amount of time I put in to something that didn't need that much time and what else I missed out on....It did teach me life lessons...most of those lessons were learned far before my 8th year of competition. Also, if you read this post it is talking about a lot more then debate it is talking about not going to certain parties, playing out a select five minutes a little differently and such. Debate was just one example in there.....

12:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what you mean. I also got that debate was an example of your point. And I understand what you are saying about wondering how things would be if you made a different choice than what you did.

All I'm saying is that if you made different life choices, even little ones, you would be a different person. I don't know if that would be a good thing or a bad thing...just different.

But I am happy that our life choices have caused us to meet and become friends. You may be one of my favorite people...so you've got that going for you.

SWAFF

5:23 PM  
Blogger Kourtney said...

Swaff....you are FOR SURE one of my most favorite people! Lots and lots of HUGS!

10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home