Trials and tribulations of someone new to Chicago

There is great big city, on a great big lake, called Chicago. When the sun goes down, it is wide awake!

Monday, November 06, 2006

Group work.....Blah!

Maybe I missed the "working together" day in Kindergarten, along with the day we learned to share, but I have never been good at group work. This is not only because I have control issues and would much rather do it myself, but also because I find other people to be irritating when they are all fighting to be heard and being over bearing in attempts to have the best idea ever to be chosen. Why must we always do group work? (Let me take a moment to answer my own question) In high school you worked in groups to prepare for college. In college it was to prepare for the work force; that, or teachers are inherently lazy! (Says the girl that has a family full of teachers/professors for jobs :)

Since we have all had so much practice working in groups, why are people so bad at it and why are they always in my group? As much as I hate working in groups, I feel that I am a very good group member. (Pause to pat my own back!) I tend to listen to every one's ideas, no matter how much they don't make sense. I make it a point to get even the quiet people involved because shy people matter too! I also, more often then not, do more work then most in a group because of the control issues above. So why am I always punished with people that are unable to function in a group. You do not, contrary to popular belief, need to YELL for your idea to be heard. We are not hard of hearing. You also do not need to repeat your idea over and over. It was bad, we ignored it in attempts to spare your feelings, but if you say it one more time I make no promises for the comments that will follow. And lastly, if you are new to a job, company, or group do not pretend to know more then every one else. You don't and you sound foolish. Sit back, offer a few points now and then and get to know every one's personalities so you know how to better interact with them all.

Better yet, can we please just stop group work? Thanks in advance to any one who might be reading this that might make me be involved in group work!

4 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

You must've missed a lot of days of school...

Spelling Bee Day (although this post shows a drastic improvement!)
Don't Get Grumpy When You're Hungry Day
Sharing Day

But at least we know that when it came time for Picture Day, little Kourtney was well prepared thanks to her vast Glamour Shots experience.

10:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha ha, you did Glamour Shots!

12:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes, i love that we are still speaking of the glamour shots! and i agree, i hate group work even after taking "small group decision making". but i never had the pleasure of working with u in a group... oh, how did i EVER miss out on that one!:-)

6:24 PM  
Blogger kristen said...

hate group work..mainly b/c i'd just assume do it myself as clearly i am smarter and more capable than most.

but i always make my students do group work...you should always be a good group member even if you hate it [and think you have the worst group ever]

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home