Trials and tribulations of someone new to Chicago

There is great big city, on a great big lake, called Chicago. When the sun goes down, it is wide awake!

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

It is like Christmas

Last week I created an Amazon Wish List. On it, it has three pages of books that I think look good. Every time I go on to look at my list, I end up adding more books. It is a quest I have to read almost every book out there. I say almost, because I have no interest in reading anything in the Science Fiction field and I am selective about the history type books I read. Other then that, however, I want to read as many books as phiscally possible. To start this "quest" of mine, I decided I would order 7 books last week. Now, you might be thinking, "You can not afford those books" as I thought to myself. However, I did not purchase any of the books for more then $0.43. Yes you read me correctly. That is not a typo! With shipping, I spent just under $25 on my 7 books. To me, that is money well spent! Here are the books I am waiting for:

A Lesson Before Dying
She's Come Undone
East of Eden
I Know This Much to be True
The Heart is a Lonely Hunter
The Corrections
What Looks Like Crazy on an Ordinary Day

I am most excited to read the last 3, however, they are not here yet so I am going to start with She's Come Undone.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A Lesson Before Dying was good. I read it so long ago it's hard for me to remember it well enough to say if I think you'd like it, but you probably will.

I've not read the rest.

1:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She's Come Undone is fantastic, and I Know This Much is True is also good although it drags at times. I wasn't a big fan of The Corrections, but The Heart is a Lonely Hunter is one of my top ten favorite books of all time.
If you want a cheap source of books here in the city, check out The Brown Elephant. It's on Halsted just north of Addison and has literally thousands of books for 50 cents or $1 each. And they're usually fairly recent selections. It's not like it's Danielle Steel from 10 years ago. Best part is that proceeds benefit the Howard Brown Health Center for GLBTQ patients. Happy Reading!
-Deb

7:56 PM  
Blogger kristen said...

OK...I am SO SO SO excited that you ordered the Heart is a Lonely Hunter. Such a fantastic book by such an influencial feminist writer. And...The Corrections is def. in my top 10 as well.

8:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

she's come undone, what looks like crazy on an ordinary day, and i know this much to be true is on my list as well!

2:55 PM  
Blogger T-Mac said...

Holy crap, that's a pretty good investment! I'm having a tough time getting ahold of English books while I'm over here so maybe I'll have some sent to me!

2:07 AM  
Blogger kristen said...

you must be doing a lot of reading!

6:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home