Trials and tribulations of someone new to Chicago

There is great big city, on a great big lake, called Chicago. When the sun goes down, it is wide awake!

Monday, January 22, 2007

Against abortion? Don't have one......

Since it is National Blog For Choice day I thought that I would follow the suit of my fellow bloggers Kristen and Lili and blog as well. Hopefully, even if you have not blogged, you have taken today to read a new article on the topic or reflect on your thoughts and belief on the situation.

First and foremost, I am pro choice. With that being said, I could never see myself having one. I do not think less of a couple, or person, who were to decide that an abortion is what is best for both them, and their unborn child. I actually think the opposite. I find that would be much harder of a choice to make then the one that I made for myself. No one WANTS to have an abortion. They simply do not wish to have a child or pregnancy. The argument behind abortion and the movements isn't if it is right or not. It isn't if it is justified or not. What isn't justified, however, is bring a child into today's already horrible society unloved and wanted. When we force a person to have a child of whom they do not want we see the effects of that. We see abuse, neglect and a lifetime of suffering. Making abortion illegal is not the way to stop it. We see from the 60's and other times that it only lead to horrifically performed abortions resulting in inability to become pregnant again, not actually aborting the fetus, but leaving them permanently scared, or worse.

Edward Abbey once stated,
" Abolition of a woman's right to abortion, when and if she wants it, amounts to compulsory maternity: a form of rape by the State."

Who gets to decide what is right for me, my body or other women and their body? Rather then demanding more children get brought into our suffering society couldn't we spend a fraction of that time into ensure a quality life for those who are already here? Improving the life of people born into poverty, abuse and neglect? Rather then abolishing programs designed to help those individuals.

Me telling my readers or friends that they should or shouldn't be pro-choice makes me no better then our current government. However, what will say is this. Think about society as a whole rather then what you deem is right or wrong.

Lastly, I leave you with the words of Justice Harry A. Blackmun During Roe V Wade of 1973:
"The states are not free, under the guise of protecting maternal health or potential life, to intimidate women into continuing pregnancies."


4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

To echo your post, I agree with you. As a man, I will never personally experience the abortion. And to some degree, it will never be my choice.

That being said, I think keeping abortions legal is vitally important. Not only from Kourt's post about the unwanted child can be abused and become a "burden" on society, but women will have abortions regardless of the legality of the practice. From the perspective of public safety, which should be part of the mindset of our elected officials, if women will have abortions anyway, we should have legislation in place that assures clean facilities, trained medical personel, and all the other requirements for the practice to ensure the safety of the woman.

- SWAFF

3:07 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

Absolutely excellent post. The libertarian in me agrees with all of what you've said. Screw the state, its not their place to infringe on our own personal liberty, especially over our own bodies.

One thing to also remember is that this fight over abortion is especially horrific for its implications abroad, namely the effects of Bush's global gag rule. He's used it to deny extremely vital aid (contraception, for instance) to places like Africa, which has a direct impact on AIDS infections rates, etc, etc, etc.

Good post.

4:53 PM  
Blogger kristen said...

the government should stay out of our bedrooms, bodies and marriage ceremonies....

look at me--the little leftist libertarian!

7:40 PM  
Blogger Rev. Donald Spitz said...

I love it. "Against abortion? Don't have one". That's like, "Don't believe in shooting dead babykilling abortionists, then don't shoot one."

11:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home