Trials and tribulations of someone new to Chicago

There is great big city, on a great big lake, called Chicago. When the sun goes down, it is wide awake!

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Trip around the world.....

Last weekend I went to Ancient Egypt, followed maps that took me around the world, went back in time and found 14 W. Elm in the early 1900's and so much more. Not only was I exhausted from being so productive but I also am one month closer to completing a resolution. Okay. Fine. I have just done "experience Chicago" for one month now but it is one month longer then I usually do my resolutions.

I went to the Chicago Field Museum. It is probably not my favorite museum here, but I am glad that I can check it off my list. They usually have a featured exhibit and it was Maps the day that I was there. Since the only class I ever failed was a class about maps in middle school, a lot of that exhibit was probably lost on me. With that said, however, it was interesting to see the detail that went into making a map with out the technology that we have now. They also were featuring a T-Rex that they have given the ferocious name of Sue. I think there are only 4 or 5 actual "Sue" bones to her. The rest are man-made. Can you actually feature a man made T-Rex?!?! If so, shouldn't their maps exhibit just be ones from Google Maps?

As usual, though, the museum did not let me down as far as people watching and listening was concerned. I saw interesting people and heard some funny things. I will leave you with the best comment heard all day. I might go as far as saying the best comment of January (Yes. A bold statement for Jan 14th but try and top it!)

"David! Come back to Ancient Egypt!"
---Father chasing after 'David'

3 Comments:

Blogger erika said...

haha! David....
well i am glad you are sticking to your goal so far. maybe my "going away book" will be handy in finding new places to go!

7:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:24 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

agree that the Field is kinda lame. Whoever suggested that was a total lame-o! I mean maps?????MAPS??? I suggest you go Ice Skating by the Bean

7:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home