Trials and tribulations of someone new to Chicago

There is great big city, on a great big lake, called Chicago. When the sun goes down, it is wide awake!

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Communication snob strikes again!

Many of you know, that although I am not always the best communicator, I tend to be a communication snob! When some one is speaking in front of me I tend to be, what is the word....critical! Last night was no different. I was asked to attend a focus group to provide information on my knowledge of certain health issues. Before you compliment me on how selfless and nice that I am, which I am, I should note I also got paid! I could not turn off communication bitch mode, however. Here are just a couple of the times that I had to stop myself from rolling my eyes or commenting.

The conductor of the group: Every time she was about to ask a question that wasn't on her sheet, or was on her sheet but needed to be restructured, she would clear her throat. Then say um. Start to ask something. Stop. Say um. Clear her throat. Say, "How do I want to phrase this?" Say um one last time. Ask a question. Say um and then ask a completely different question. Repeat steps about 20 times.

The personal stories: People in this group thought they were there because they had a vast knowledge on the topic; opposite day! One person in the group thought if she had a personal story for everything that was discussed it would make her appear to know more. She also tended to close her eyes when she talked. Oh, I should mention, she doesn't use the microwave because it causes cancer. One story she told was about her "best friend" whose mom found out late she had cancer. (Not making a joke there....that is sad and would not wish that upon any one) The joke comes later when she tries to go into detail and realizes she can't because, well, she doesn't know any. She ends it in saying again that it was her best friends mom, but then, that she hadn't talked to her in months. She knows the cancer was fatal. What?? Your best friend's mom has fatal cancer and you have not talked to her in months???

The reliable source: One gal tried to tell everyone that she had heard the latest and most up to date research and information on the topic. Shockingly, she hadn't. She did, however, hear everything from a reliable source. One of her "sources" that she enlightened us with was too good to pass up. She heard a fact about something. She couldn't remember where she heard it from. Pauses for good measure. Says that she remembers now. It was from a friend of hers. She isn't sure where her "friend" heard it from. Another good measure pause. Oh yes, her friend heard it from a....wait for it....a reliable source.

I could go on but that just makes me seem mean!

5 Comments:

Blogger kristen said...

oh the talker-thinkers strike again....

Everyone listen up--you should be THINKER-TALKERS not the other way around. Stop. Think. Then speak. Do not think as you speak.

Thank you.

8:35 AM  
Blogger erika said...

haha. i love love love this. because this is also me. people do not realize you dont have to SAY everything you are thinking. I have a girl in my healthcare ethics class that knows EVERYTHING about healthcare laws and morals and Hippocratic oath... funny thing is, shes a medical secretary, not actually a licensed professional. wierd. i can not wait until the pro-choice debate. she is pregnant.

10:03 AM  
Blogger Cptn. Backfire said...

:shakes head:


good work, kid. good work.

at least you got paid to sit through their bullshit. it could have been a lot worse.

10:44 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

haha nice, i can just picture you sitting there during all of this. Way to be:)

1:01 PM  
Blogger T-Mac said...

Seriously, that's fucking hilarious! I totally do stuff like that (make elitist little comments to myself) too, don't feel bad!

11:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home