Trials and tribulations of someone new to Chicago

There is great big city, on a great big lake, called Chicago. When the sun goes down, it is wide awake!

Sunday, March 25, 2007

Blog against sexism....

I was told that it was blog against sexism day. Okay fine, I was told that it was that day about twenty days ago. Better late then never, right? Sexism is every where and I am sure every one is experienced it at one point in their lives. Working in retail I see it often. I work in a woman's clothing shop but we have a few males that work there as well. There are many people that come in and refuse to speak with our male associates. Many women think that because they are male they would not be able to tell them what would be appropriate to go together, if it fits right, if it matches or any of their other clothing needs. Some of them do not even look at the males of there is a female with in close proximities. What makes me qualified to assist some one with their clothing needs? Just because I am female? Any one who has shopped with me, lived with me or just been with me as I was getting ready for some event knows that I need second opinions on most of my out fits. A few of the guys that I work with have more fashion sense then I could dream of having and I would love it if they told me what to wear every day! When I am that rich social worker they will be on my style team ;)

3 Comments:

Blogger kristen said...

Hmmm...I'm not really sure this is sexism. Even if women believe that the men can't help them pick out clothing, that is probably due to (a) their discomfort with talking to men about their body shape/flaws (b) thinking that women understand more about women's fashions, etc

But I don't think it is discriminating to men to not ask them for help. For me, sexism is tied to discrimination and I don't see this as unfair in anyway...

Now, if no men were hired in retail that would be discriminatory.

4:49 PM  
Blogger Kourtney said...

you don't think it is unfair to assume some one doesn't know the answer to something b/c of their gender??? That isn't sexism??? Would it not be discrimination to think that an ethnicity wouldn't be able to answer something b/c of that ethnicity??

Clearly they know women's fashion if they are working in a women's store so why am I more qualified to answer something that a male isn't?

11:14 PM  
Blogger kristen said...

If anything it is sexist to assume all women know about fashion...not the other way around. Why would one assume men know how to dress women's bodies? A person of african heritage wouldn't ask me how to do their hair because most white people would have NO idea how to do it (even white hair dressers).

AND there is no harm in these women NOT asking men for help. How is that discrimination?!

5:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home